Monday, September 10, 2007

Poll Results - How Many Very Close Friends

Out last poll question was - How many very close friends do you have?

The results:

None = 8%;
1-5 = 75%;
6-10 = 8%;
11-15 = 0%;
16-20 = 8%; and
over 20 = 0%

These results were about what I expected. I think it reveals two things. One, we often do not have many "close friends". Studies have shown that it is difficult to maintain truly close relationships with more than just a handful of people.

Secondly, we are becoming more and more of an isolated society. While we are wired for only so many relationships, I think we often use this as an excuse not to risk having many (sometime "any") relationships at all.

What I've learned is when I do take the risk and let people get closer to me, I benefit tremendously. So, if you're feeling isolated, why not take some time to consider making some new friends. They won't all become your best friends, but your life will be richer because of your new relationships.

No comments: